Karma Nirvana has received national and international coverage over the years, helping to spread the word or our services and support.
In the News
- Roger Farnworth, 8 September 2014, Karma Nirvana – Jasvinder Sanghera
- BBC, 3 June 2014, Jageer Kaur Attacked by my father-in-law
- Telegraph, 21 June, Forced marriage: the survivors’ tales Every year thousands of British girls are spirited abroad to marry men they’ve never met. Sally Howard reveals the shocking truth about forced marriage in 21st century Britain
- Warrington Guardian, 18 June, Day of Memory Petition Close to 100,000 Signatures Karma Nirvana have now ‘upped the pressure’ by creating a second petition calling on the home secretary to grant the memorial day on Shafilea’s birthday in July.
- Thames Valley police, 18 June 2014, Conference on forced marriage and female genital mutilation
- Derby Telegraph, 17 June 2014, Jail threat on forced marriages welcome but long overdue The legislation introduced yesterday which threatens heavy jail sentences to those who impose forced marriages is welcome, if overdue.
- BBC, 16 June, Forced marriage law sends ‘powerful message’ A new law in England and Wales making it a criminal offence to force people into
marriage sends “a powerful message”
- Cosmopolitan, 16 June 2014, Forced Marriage is Finally a Crime A momentous victory in the fight against honour-based abuse
- Cosmopolitan, 16 June 2014, Karma Nirvana Survivor tells her story Today, forced marriage becomes a criminal offence in the UK. Here, Ayesha* shares her own experience of being coerced into a marriage against her will – and explains how she finally escaped
- Penarth Times, 16 June 2014, Honor based violence targeted by police South Wales Police have hosted the first roadshow in Wales on forced marriage and honour based violence in partnership with charity Karma Nirvana.
- Asian Express, 12 June 2014, ‘Right to Choose’ West Yorkshire Police have teamed up with two partner agencies to help stamp out forced marriages
- Telegraph, 2 June 2014, Honour abuse doesn’t just happen abroad As the world learns of Farzana Parveen’s fate, a pregnant woman who was stoned and beaten to death by her own family in Lahore, Jasvinder Sanghera calls on the Prime Minister to officially recognise honour abuse here in the UK
- Dorset Police, 2 June 2014, Karma Nirvana and Forced Marriage Unit to bring their biggest roadshow yet to Dorset
- University of Worcester, 30 May 2014, University Links Up with Charity to Raise Awareness of Forced Marriage
- itv, 7 May 2014, Leeds charity tackling forced marriages head on The founder of a Yorkshire charity says a fear of being labelled racist is stopping authorities tackling the growing problem of forced marriage.
- Cosmopolitan, 29 April 2014, Who are Britain’s Lost Women? Pavanpreet Ahmed is petitioning for a day to remember victims of honour killings, supported by Cosmopolitan and Karma Nirvana.
- Guardian, 29 April 2014, Child marriage could become law in Iraq this week When Iraqi voters go to the polls tomorrow they are likely to endorse parties that plan to legalise child marriage at nine years old.
- BBC News, 7 April 2014, Derby College tackles forced marriage A programme to tackle forced marriage and “honour” based abuse has been launched by an East Midlands further education college.
- Asia House, 4 April 2014, Forced marriages in the UK well above 100,000 Today the film Honour, which saw its London premiere at the Asia House Pan Asia Film Festival, is released at cinemas in the UK.
- The Independent, 23 March 2014, Record numbers contact helpline The UK’s only forced marriage and honour-based abuse helpline has received almost double the number of monthly calls it had last year.
- Huffington Post, 10 March 2014, Karma Nirvana Saving Thousands of Women In the case of Karma Nirvana, the charity that helps women and men who are subjected to forced marriages and honour based abuse, it is extremely personal for founder Jasvinder Sanghera.
- Cosmopolitan, 24 February 2014, My Sister Set Herself on Fire When we think of the most horrific acts of violence against women around the world
- Petherbridge Bassra, 20 January 2014, CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL AT KARMA NIRVANA ON THEIR 21ST BIRTHDAY!
- ITV Central News, 16 January 2014, 700 calls made to forced marriage charity in the Midlands A charity which helps victims of forced marriage and honour abuse has started a pilot project at a school in Yorkshire, to help teachers spot the warning signs.
- The Independent, 16 January 2014, The lost girls Pressure mounts on Government to curb use of ultrasound scans to show gender of unborn babies
- Yorkshire Evening Post, 15 January 2014, Schools must act in the war on forced marriage: A Lifelong campaigner against forced marriage has launched an awareness drive for Leeds schools.
- Telegraph & Argus, 6 January 2014, Pupils missing after school holidays shows big increase in district: The number of children who go missing during school holidays is on the rise, the Telegraph & Argus can reveal.
- TedxTalks, 28 November 2013, Jasvinder Sanghera: Fighting forced marriages and honour based abuse
- ABC News, 12 November 2013, Honour and Obey: In this frank and disturbing Foreign Correspondent, Europe Correspondent Mary Gearin opens the case-book on honour crime in the UK and examines the efforts underway to prevent forced marriages and to crack down on families applying a violent and sometimes deadly code.
- The Mirror, 10 November 2013, Forced Marriage: Ayesha was repeatedly beaten, raped and then twice almost murdered by her own family. Campaigners and support groups say forced arranged marriage of young British Muslim girls is becoming a bigger problem every day
- Guardian, 12 July 2013, Girl, 16, praised for standing up to forced marriage:
A 16-year-old student has received high praise after organising a charity dinner last week confronting the issue of forced marriage.
Arifa Nasim, a Year 11 student at Walthamstow School for Girls, spearheaded the dinner for 130 people.
- Royal Holloway University of London, 11 July 2013, Lack of cultural understanding makes forced marriage victims wary of social services
Victims of forced marriage and honour violence in the UK are hesitant to seek professional help because they are worried social workers will not understand their cultural difference
- Operation Black Vote, 17 June 2013, Jasvinder Sanghera CBE: OBV alumni receives award
What a pleasure it was on Friday afternoon when I received a call from Jasvinder Sanghera the founder of Karma Nirvana, and long time activist against forced marriages and honour based violence.
- BBC News, 14 June 2013, Derbyshire forced marriage campaigner honoured with CBE
A Derby woman who set up a charity after fleeing a forced marriage has been honoured with a CBE.
- Daily Mail, 14 June 2013, My mother-in-law the murderess
Behind the net curtains of a suburban London home, a horrific story of arranged marriage, claims of adultery, appalling murder and awesome courage
- BBC Panorama, 22 April 2013, Secrets of Britain’s Sharia Councils
Panorama goes undercover to investigate what is really happening in Britain’s Sharia Councils – Islamic religious courts.
- Opinion Internationale, 16 April 2013, In the UK, some want a law against forced marriage …
To put an end to forced marriages, the UK could adopt a law criminalizing the practice before the end of the year, although this is a controversial solution.
- BBC Radio 4′s Desert Island Discs!
Please tune into Jasvinder’s piece on BBC Radio 4′s Desert Island Discs!
It will be aired on Sunday 24th March at 11.15am.
- BBC Panorama, 7 April 2013, Secrets of Britain’s Sharia Councils
BBC Panorama has uncovered fresh evidence of how some Sharia councils in Britain may be putting Muslim women “at risk” by pressuring them to stay in abusive marriages.
- West Midlands Police, 6 March 2013, Straight A student disappearance – five arrested
FIVE ARRESTED as fears grow for a missing Walsall teenager who has disappeared without trace.
- BBC News, 5 March 2013, Forced Marriage Unit helped 250 children last year
At least 250 children in the UK were helped by a unit set up to tackle forced marriages last year, with the youngest case involving a two-year-old.
- PolicyMic, 4 March 2013, 5 Awesome Women Putting Their Politics in Practice
For many women it seems that, despite advances in equality, they still have to work twice as hard to have their voices heard, and realizing effective change in society is more than an uphill battle.
- BBC News, 2 March 2013, Shafilea Ahmed death: Serious case review call by charity
A charity for victims of honour crime is calling for a serious case review into Shafilea Ahmed’s murder.
- ITV Calendar, 1 March 2013, Charity calls for serious case review into Shafilea Ahmed murder
A charity has called for a serious case review into the death of a teenager from Bradford who was killed by her parents, after refusing to be forced into marriage.
- East London Advertiser, 26 February 2013, In depth: Survivor of forced marriage shares her story in Tower Hamlets
A woman who narrowly escaped being forcibly married to her cousin as a teenager shared her story at an event in Tower Hamlets to raise awareness about forced marriages and so-called “honour” violence.
- The Pulse FM, 12 February 2013, Honour Killings And Forced Marriage Addressed In Calderdale
People in Calderdale suffering from honour based violence and forced marriages have been urged to get help thanks to a community road show.
- BBC News, 8 February 2013, Ofsted: Missing children data ‘worrying’
There is a “worrying” lack of reliable data on missing children in England, Ofsted’s chief inspector Sir Michael Wilshaw has said.
- Huffpost Students, 7 February 2013, The Battle Against Forced Marriages Continues
On Wednesday 6 February the University of Warwick’s Asian Society were honoured to have forced marriage survivor and co-founder of the charity Karma Nirvana, Jasvinder Sanghera, give students a talk about her experiences and the campaign against forced marriages.
- Women of the Year, 18 October 2012, Jasvinder Sanghera’s blog
In 2007, Jasvinder Sanghera won a Women of the Year special award for her work campaigning for the rights of victims of forced marriage, domestic violence and honour killings. In 1993, Jasvinder founded Karma Nirvana, a support group for victims of honour-based violence, and since then she has fought to expose the scandal of honour-based violence and bring about legislative change.
- ITV News Central, 17 October 2012 I Forced Marriage Roadshow launched
A roadshow is being launched in Sandwell and Northampton by a charity, to raise awareness of honour-based violence and forced marriage.
- BBC News Sussex, 16 October 2012 I Sussex Police aim to improve ‘honour’ violence awareness
Sussex Police and Karma Nirvana have held a conference in an attempt to raise awareness of “honour-based” violence in the county.
- Sky News, 20 September 2012 I Shafilea Murder: Campaigner Wants Case Review
Shafilea Ahmed’s murder put honour killings and forced marriage in the spotlight, but a leading campaigner wants further action.
- Wire FM, 20 September 2012 I Calls for serious case review into murder of Shafilea Ahmed
There are calls for a serious case review into the murder of Warrington teenager Shafilea Ahmed.
- Calendar ITV News, 18 September 2012 I More awareness about Forced Marriages
A charity that supports victims of forced marriages and so-called honour crimes is stepping up its awareness campaign.
- BBC Scotland, 6 September 2012 I Rise in Scottish calls to forced marriage charity A charity which assists victims of forced marriage and honour-based abuse has reported an increase in the number of Scottish calls to its helpline.
- The People, 2 September 2012 I Wed and buried: Shocking truth about our schoolkids who disappear into forced marriage
As kids go back to school after the summer break, hundreds of teenage British girls will be missing from class registers.
- The Telegraph, 16 Aug 2012 I Judge attacks forced marriage that put disabled woman ‘at risk’
A judge has said the forced marriage of a Muslim woman with learning difficulties should be annulled and condemned the “insulated” families who arrange them.
- Real Radio, 6 August 2012 I Shafilea Ahmed: Honour Killings
Karma Nirvana input into Real Radio’s Shafilea Ahmed story.
- The Clarion Fund, July 2012 I Documentary Promo Video
Working Title: Sisters – documentary by The Clarion Fund.
- BBC Radio 4, 31 July 2012 I The House I Grew up In
Jasvinder Sanghera is the founder of the charity, Karma Nirvana, which campaigns against forced marriage. She was also one of the influential voices behind the 2008 Forced Marriages Act.
- The Daily Beast, 21 June 2012 I When Marriage is a Crime
The British government has criminalized the practice of forced marriage. Jasvinder Sanghera, who defied such a marriage herself, describes why the ruling is key.
- The Sun, 8 June 2012 I Force for good
VICTIMS of forced marriage will be able to decide if their parents are prosecuted and jailed, Home Secretary Theresa May reveals in The Sun today.
- The Telegraph, 7 June 2012 I Forced marriage expected to become a crime
Forcing someone to marry is set to be made a crime after David Cameron rejected claims that doing so would simply drive the practice underground.
- The Daily Mail, 17 April 2012 I ‘Honour’ violence is acceptable, say one in five young British Asians
A large number of young British Asians support violence against women who ‘dishonour’ their families, a Panorama investigation will claim today.
- The Guardian, 9 April 2012 I Forced marriage: the pupils who vanish in the holidays Why aren’t schools doing more to educate children about forced marriage?
- Women in the World Foundation, 22 March 2012 I Woman of the Week: Jasvinder Sanghera Jasvinder Sanghera cut ties with her family to fight against forced marriage.
- BBC Panorama, 19 March 2012 I ‘Honour code’ supported by young Asians, poll says Two-thirds of young British Asians agree that families should live according to the concept of “honour”, a poll for BBC Panorama suggests.
- The Daily Mail, 16 March 2012 I Is this Britain’s first white honour killing victim? The happy but headstrong girl, 17, whose love across the racial divide had a tragic end.
- Telegraph & Argus, 17 October 2011 I Bradford reaction to Prime Minister’s proposals over ‘slavery’
Following the Prime Minister’s recent announcement on forced marriage, it looks as though the Government is moving closer towards criminalising the practice. The Guardian, 4 August 2011 I Summer is a dangerous time for those at risk of forced marriage
Jasvinder Sanghera has long campaigned against forced marriage but, she says, it is still widespread – and thousands of girls will not return to the UK after the summer holidays
- The Guardian, 17 May 2011 I MPs call for forced marriage to be made a criminal offence
Home affairs select committee urges ministers and local authorities to prevent closure of groups helping victims
- BBC News, 13 May 2011 I Forced marriages victims put issue in spotlight
Victims of forced marriages will be among speakers at roadshows being held to raise awareness about the issue.
- The Sun, 2 August 2010 I Hooded knifemen told me to go back to my parents. I refused and he stabbed me
SAIRA had a blissfully happy upbringing, growing up in a sprawling ten-bedroom house and going to a £20,000-a-year private school.
- BBC News, 23 November 2009 I Schools warned on forced marriage
A leading campaigner against forced marriages has warned that thousands of south Asian schoolgirls in West Yorkshire could be at risk of abuse.
- The Guardian, 14 January 2009 I Public Inquiry
Jasvinder Sanghera, director of Karma Nirvana, which supports victims of honour-based crime
- Derby University, 2008/09 I Honoraries
Jasvinder Sanghera – Doctor of the University (HonDUniv)
- BBC Inside Out, 27 September 2004 I Escaping a Forced Marriage
The tradition of forced marriages is becoming a growing threat for many British women of South Asian origin.