Karma Nirvana has received national and international coverage over the years, helping to spread the word or our services and support.
In the news
- Guardian, 12 July 2013 I Girl, 16, praised for standing up to forced marriage:
A 16-year-old student has received high praise after organising a charity dinner last week confronting the issue of forced marriage.
Arifa Nasim, a Year 11 student at Walthamstow School for Girls, spearheaded the dinner for 130 people.
- Royal Holloway University of London, 11 July 2013 I Lack of cultural understanding makes forced marriage victims wary of social services
Victims of forced marriage and honour violence in the UK are hesitant to seek professional help because they are worried social workers will not understand their cultural difference
- Operation Black Vote, 17 June 2013 I Jasvinder Sanghera CBE: OBV alumni receives award
What a pleasure it was on Friday afternoon when I received a call from Jasvinder Sanghera the founder of Karma Nirvana, and long time activist against forced marriages and honour based violence.
- BBC News, 14 June 2013 I Derbyshire forced marriage campaigner honoured with CBE
A Derby woman who set up a charity after fleeing a forced marriage has been honoured with a CBE.
- Daily Mail, 14 June 2013 I My mother-in-law the murderess
Behind the net curtains of a suburban London home, a horrific story of arranged marriage, claims of adultery, appalling murder and awesome courage
- BBC Panorama, 22 April 2013 I Secrets of Britain’s Sharia Councils
Panorama goes undercover to investigate what is really happening in Britain’s Sharia Councils – Islamic religious courts.
- Opinion Internationale, 16 April 2013 I In the UK, some want a law against forced marriage …
To put an end to forced marriages, the UK could adopt a law criminalizing the practice before the end of the year, although this is a controversial solution.
- BBC Radio 4′s Desert Island Discs!
Please tune into Jasvinder’s piece on BBC Radio 4′s Desert Island Discs!
It will be aired on Sunday 24th March at 11.15am.
- BBC Panorama, 7 April 2013 I Secrets of Britain’s Sharia Councils
BBC Panorama has uncovered fresh evidence of how some Sharia councils in Britain may be putting Muslim women “at risk” by pressuring them to stay in abusive marriages.
- West Midlands Police, 6 March 2013 I Straight A student disappearance – five arrested
FIVE ARRESTED as fears grow for a missing Walsall teenager who has disappeared without trace.
- BBC News, 5 March 2013 I Forced Marriage Unit helped 250 children last year
At least 250 children in the UK were helped by a unit set up to tackle forced marriages last year, with the youngest case involving a two-year-old.
- PolicyMic, 4 March 2013 I 5 Awesome Women Putting Their Politics in Practice
For many women it seems that, despite advances in equality, they still have to work twice as hard to have their voices heard, and realizing effective change in society is more than an uphill battle.
- BBC News, 2 March 2013 I Shafilea Ahmed death: Serious case review call by charity
A charity for victims of honour crime is calling for a serious case review into Shafilea Ahmed’s murder.
- ITV Calendar, 1 March 2013 I Charity calls for serious case review into Shafilea Ahmed murder
A charity has called for a serious case review into the death of a teenager from Bradford who was killed by her parents, after refusing to be forced into marriage.
- East London Advertiser, 26 February 2013 I In depth: Survivor of forced marriage shares her story in Tower Hamlets
A woman who narrowly escaped being forcibly married to her cousin as a teenager shared her story at an event in Tower Hamlets to raise awareness about forced marriages and so-called “honour” violence.
- The Pulse FM, 12 February 2013 I Honour Killings And Forced Marriage Addressed In Calderdale
People in Calderdale suffering from honour based violence and forced marriages have been urged to get help thanks to a community road show.
- BBC News, 8 February 2013 I Ofsted: Missing children data ‘worrying’
There is a “worrying” lack of reliable data on missing children in England, Ofsted’s chief inspector Sir Michael Wilshaw has said.
- Huffpost Students, 7 February 2013 I The Battle Against Forced Marriages Continues
On Wednesday 6 February the University of Warwick’s Asian Society were honoured to have forced marriage survivor and co-founder of the charity Karma Nirvana, Jasvinder Sanghera, give students a talk about her experiences and the campaign against forced marriages.
- Women of the Year, 18 October 2012 I Jasvinder Sanghera’s blog
In 2007, Jasvinder Sanghera won a Women of the Year special award for her work campaigning for the rights of victims of forced marriage, domestic violence and honour killings. In 1993, Jasvinder founded Karma Nirvana, a support group for victims of honour-based violence, and since then she has fought to expose the scandal of honour-based violence and bring about legislative change.
- ITV News Central, 17 October 2012 I Forced Marriage Roadshow launched
A roadshow is being launched in Sandwell and Northampton by a charity, to raise awareness of honour-based violence and forced marriage.
- BBC News Sussex, 16 October 2012 I Sussex Police aim to improve ‘honour’ violence awareness
Sussex Police and Karma Nirvana have held a conference in an attempt to raise awareness of “honour-based” violence in the county.
- Sky News, 20 September 2012 I Shafilea Murder: Campaigner Wants Case Review
Shafilea Ahmed’s murder put honour killings and forced marriage in the spotlight, but a leading campaigner wants further action.
- Wire FM, 20 September 2012 I Calls for serious case review into murder of Shafilea Ahmed
There are calls for a serious case review into the murder of Warrington teenager Shafilea Ahmed.
- Calendar ITV News, 18 September 2012 I More awareness about Forced Marriages
A charity that supports victims of forced marriages and so-called honour crimes is stepping up its awareness campaign.
- BBC Scotland, 6 September 2012 I Rise in Scottish calls to forced marriage charity A charity which assists victims of forced marriage and honour-based abuse has reported an increase in the number of Scottish calls to its helpline.
- The People, 2 September 2012 I Wed and buried: Shocking truth about our schoolkids who disappear into forced marriage
As kids go back to school after the summer break, hundreds of teenage British girls will be missing from class registers.
- The Telegraph, 16 Aug 2012 I Judge attacks forced marriage that put disabled woman ‘at risk’
A judge has said the forced marriage of a Muslim woman with learning difficulties should be annulled and condemned the “insulated” families who arrange them.
- Real Radio, 6 August 2012 I Shafilea Ahmed: Honour Killings
Karma Nirvana input into Real Radio’s Shafilea Ahmed story.
- The Clarion Fund, July 2012 I Documentary Promo Video
Working Title: Sisters – documentary by The Clarion Fund.
- BBC Radio 4, 31 July 2012 I The House I Grew up In
Jasvinder Sanghera is the founder of the charity, Karma Nirvana, which campaigns against forced marriage. She was also one of the influential voices behind the 2008 Forced Marriages Act.
- The Daily Beast, 21 June 2012 I When Marriage is a Crime
The British government has criminalized the practice of forced marriage. Jasvinder Sanghera, who defied such a marriage herself, describes why the ruling is key.
- The Sun, 8 June 2012 I Force for good
VICTIMS of forced marriage will be able to decide if their parents are prosecuted and jailed, Home Secretary Theresa May reveals in The Sun today.
- The Telegraph, 7 June 2012 I Forced marriage expected to become a crime
Forcing someone to marry is set to be made a crime after David Cameron rejected claims that doing so would simply drive the practice underground.
- The Daily Mail, 17 April 2012 I ‘Honour’ violence is acceptable, say one in five young British Asians
A large number of young British Asians support violence against women who ‘dishonour’ their families, a Panorama investigation will claim today.
- The Guardian, 9 April 2012 I Forced marriage: the pupils who vanish in the holidays Why aren’t schools doing more to educate children about forced marriage?
- Women in the World Foundation, 22 March 2012 I Woman of the Week: Jasvinder Sanghera Jasvinder Sanghera cut ties with her family to fight against forced marriage.
- BBC Panorama, 19 March 2012 I ‘Honour code’ supported by young Asians, poll says Two-thirds of young British Asians agree that families should live according to the concept of “honour”, a poll for BBC Panorama suggests.
- The Daily Mail, 16 March 2012 I Is this Britain’s first white honour killing victim? The happy but headstrong girl, 17, whose love across the racial divide had a tragic end.
- Telegraph & Argus, 17 October 2011 I Bradford reaction to Prime Minister’s proposals over ‘slavery’
Following the Prime Minister’s recent announcement on forced marriage, it looks as though the Government is moving closer towards criminalising the practice. The Guardian, 4 August 2011 I Summer is a dangerous time for those at risk of forced marriage
Jasvinder Sanghera has long campaigned against forced marriage but, she says, it is still widespread – and thousands of girls will not return to the UK after the summer holidays
- The Guardian, 17 May 2011 I MPs call for forced marriage to be made a criminal offence
Home affairs select committee urges ministers and local authorities to prevent closure of groups helping victims
- BBC News, 13 May 2011 I Forced marriages victims put issue in spotlight
Victims of forced marriages will be among speakers at roadshows being held to raise awareness about the issue.
- The Sun, 2 August 2010 I Hooded knifemen told me to go back to my parents. I refused and he stabbed me
SAIRA had a blissfully happy upbringing, growing up in a sprawling ten-bedroom house and going to a £20,000-a-year private school.
- BBC News, 23 November 2009 I Schools warned on forced marriage
A leading campaigner against forced marriages has warned that thousands of south Asian schoolgirls in West Yorkshire could be at risk of abuse.
- The Guardian, 14 January 2009 I Public Inquiry
Jasvinder Sanghera, director of Karma Nirvana, which supports victims of honour-based crime
- Derby University, 2008/09 I Honoraries
Jasvinder Sanghera – Doctor of the University (HonDUniv)
- BBC Inside Out, 27 September 2004 I Escaping a Forced Marriage
The tradition of forced marriages is becoming a growing threat for many British women of South Asian origin.